According to the press conference held by the Ministry of Public Security, ministers from Cambodia, China, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand and Vietnam signed the COMMIT Joint Declaration on 14 December 2007. Mr Zhang Xinfeng, the Deputy Minister of MPS said that China does not have a safety net against trafficking in women and children. However, China solved more than 2,500 trafficking cases in 2006, representing up to 80-90% of total trafficking cases. Mr Zhang also expressed:
· anti-trafficking efforts have received support from the highest levels of the government
· no law enforcement personnel were involved in trafficking cases
· more than 2500 trafficking cases were solved in 2006
· China has shifted from “combating trafficking” to “anti-trafficking”
· China will establish a database on trafficking
Adapted from: "There Is No Any Safety Umbrella for Traffickers in China." Beijing Youth Daily, 15 December 2007.
Search the entirety of the site for resources or updates.